If you weren’t able to make it to the 8th Annual Athens Eggfest, you certainly missed a great event! Despite the wind, the weather was beautiful as 26 cooking teams churned out some of the best variety of food ever!
Thanks to those individuals who paid a $5 tasting fee, and the generous contributions of our sponsors, a considerable amount was raised to benefit the Friends of the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center.
A special shout out of thanks go to all of our Egghead Cooks. These folks came from Texas to cook at their own expense. Relocation and illness kept a few of our regulars from attending and they certainly were missed (Spring Chicken, Spring Hen, Richard, and Charlotte), but everyone who was able to make it shared a wonderful time of comradery and fun. These folks are generous beyond compare and I am blessed to call each of them a friend.
One thing that makes our event so awesome is the hands on treatment we get from our sponsors.
- Everyone at Morrison Supply shows up to help with questions, setup, distribution of Demo Eggs to their new owners, and even to cook. They are family to us and Ryan Campise is a very special friend!
- Then, there are the folks from First State Bank. In addition to their sponsorship, these guys take event participation to a whole new level. They have cooked as a team in EVERY Eggfest since we began. Prior to the event, their staff team members get together for a taste testing event to determine their event menu. The day of the event, their team members bring a contagious enthusiasm that makes everyone’s event experience even more fun!
- Brookshire’s provides backup support to us in the form of gift cards to our cooks to help them with their food costs. Manager, Dale Johnson also attended the event and kept an eye on the cooks to help bring supplies to them if needed.
- This year, we added a new sponsor – Steve Grant Real Estate. They were so excited to be on board that they held an online contest to give away a large Big Green Egg setup!
- The staff and volunteers of the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center provide manpower that makes the event run smoothly. From setting up tents, assembling Demo Eggs, helping with any printed materials, and many other tasks, it’s very apparent that these guys are proud of their facility – and well they should be.
Finally, this event was made possible through the continued support of Chris Randall and the good people of Paragon Distributing. Chris, Greg, and Nick, you know we love you!
It’s not too early to mark your calendars NOW to attend the 9th Annual Athens Eggfest on Saturday, April 13th, 2019. Registration will open in January 2019 for next year’s event. We hope to see you there!!!!